psa facebook  psa twitter  psa rss
Membership Logon |  Contact Us |  Follow us 

  Forgot your details?

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I join the PSA?

You can join online here or print out a form here.


Who can join the PSA?

The Public Service Association covers workers in the public service, the state sector, community public services, local government and district health boards.


To the employers we cover in each of those areas click here.


The PSA doesn’t cover teachers, sworn police, cleaners or orderlies, except some who work for Spotless or are contracted to NZ Defence.


We do not cover registered nurses who are general nurses. However, we do cover mental health nurses.

To find out which union does cover you, go to the NZ Council of Trade Unions website.


What fees should I be paying?

You can find out about the fees here.


Is a tax-free scholarship counted as part of my gross salary?

No, a tax-free scholarship is not part of your gross salary.


Am I covered if I go on parental/maternity or leave without pay?

Members are covered while on parental leave as long as you were a financial member at the time you went on leave.


The process works as follows:


1. You need to notify the PSA when your leave begins and when you expect to return. (Call 0508 367 772 or email .)

2. Your payroll will automatically suspend your fees.

3. There are no fees taken out of the government paid parental leave.

4. Fees are paid on any annual leave taken in conjunction with parental leave.

5. You will need to ask your payroll to recommence your payments on your return to work and notify the PSA you have returned.


I have over paid my fees. How do I get a refund?

To apply for a refund, download the fees refund form.


Refunds can be claimed for up to 12 months.


I have just joined the PSA. How do I change from my individual agreement to the collective agreement?

If you are in a position that is covered by the collective agreement, by joining the PSA you are automatically covered by the collective agreement.


Your payroll will be aware of this when they receive your fee deduction authorisation form. We also have members whose delegations (positions such as managers) that fall outside the collective agreement coverage who are covered by individual agreements.


Can I be a member of more than one union?

You can belong to two unions if you work in two part-time jobs (but make sure you are paying the correct fees as you could end up paying too much).


For example, if you are a registered nurse in the mental health field, you can be covered by the PSA and NZNO (NZ Nurses Organisation).


I am a member of the NZNO (NZ Nurses Organisation) and the PSA. What fees do I pay?

This applies to mental health nurses who belong to both unions. As the PSA negotiated your terms and conditions, you pay a full fee to the PSA. When you provide proof to the NZNO that you pay a full fee to the PSA, it will charge you a part fee.


Can I be a member of the PSA in more than one workplace?

You can be a member of the PSA in more than one workplace so long as both workplaces are covered by the PSA.


You would pay full fees at your main place of employment and be covered by the collective agreements at both workplaces. You must ensure that the employer where you are not having fees deducted is aware you are a member of the PSA.


Do I have to rejoin if I change employer?

You will need to email and advise them of your new employer details. Our membership staff will send you a new deduction authorisation form for you to complete and give to your new payroll.


I have enrolled online. Why are no fees coming out of my pay?

Contact payroll. Your fee deductions cannot start until you have advised payroll. If you need a new deduction authorisation form for your employer, email and our membership staff will send you a form.


Once we receive your first payment, we will send you a membership pack and card.


I have retired. Can I remain a PSA member?

You can stay in touch with the PSA by becoming an associate member. The fees are $50 per year and you receive all the standard member benefits except industrial assistance. Download the associate membership form here.


How do I update my address details online?

Go here.


How do I resign from the PSA?

You need to notify the PSA in writing, giving two weeks' notice as per the PSA rules.


You can notify the PSA by e-mailing . You will also need to notify your payroll to stop your payments.


What about casual workers?

Casual workers pay fees when they work. If you are a regular casual worker – for example, you usually work four hours each week – you can pay the lowest or middle rate fortnightly depending on your hours.


Contact to discuss your situation if you are unsure.